Matthew C. Sunderlin
Matthew C. Sunderlin is a native of Winchester, Virginia. He began practicing law in 1995 in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and joined Clark Bradshaw in 1999. He became a partner in 2003.
Mr. Sunderlin is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and has been Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation. As an active member of his community, he is President-Elect of the Rotary Club of Harrisonburg, a member of the Board of Directors of the Blue Ridge Community College Educational Foundation, Inc. and the Commonwealth Community Trust, Past President of The Arc (The Association for Retarded Citizens) of Harrisonburg / Rockingham, and Past Present of the Elder Alliance.
Mr. Sunderlin represents the elderly, the disabled, their families and advocates. Elder Law includes estate and incapacity planning, estate and trust administration, powers of attorney, advance medical directive, guardianship, conservatorship, planning with regard to Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security and Supplemental Security Income and fiduciary services.
Mr. Sunderlin also handles litigation involving these issues, such as will contests and estate administration disputes. Clark Bradshaw is well suited to handle estate, gift and fiduciary income tax-related matters as it employs two experienced certified public accountants. Mr. Sunderlin graduated from Hampden-Sydney College with B.A. in 1989 and from Regent University School of Law with a Juris Doctor in 1995.
- Regent University School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Hampden-Sydney College, B.A. in History, 1989
- Certified Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation since 2003*
- Certified Guardian ad litem for incapacitated adults in Virginia since 2003
- Listed in the Virginia Super Lawyers magazine in the area of Elder Law 2008, 2009, 2012-2019
- Lecturer, Virginia Continuing Legal Education, Inc.
- Author, Managing Incapacity, Elder Law Handbook, Virginia Continuing Legal Education, Inc.
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member, Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Treasurer, Harrisonburg-Rockingham Bar Association, 2011-2012
- President, Harrisonburg-Rockingham Bar Association, 2014-2015
- Member, Harrisonburg-Rockingham Bar Association
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, Virginia Guardianship Association
- Former Representative for the Harrisonburg-Rockingham County Bar Association to the Council of Local Bar Associations of the Virginia State Bar
- Past Member, Harrisonburg Council of the Central and Western Virginia Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association
- Assistant District Governor, Rotary International (Area 3, Dist. 7570), 2013-2017
- Past President and Past Board Member, Rotary Club of Harrisonburg, 2009-2010
- Past Member, Board of Directors of the Blue Ridge Community College Educational Foundation, Inc., 2005-2011
- Past Member, Board of Directors of the Commonwealth Community Trust, 2004-2010
- Past President and Past Board Member, The Arc (Association for Retarded Citizens) of Harrisonburg / Rockingham, 2002-2008
- Past President and Past Board Member, The ElderAlliance, 2002-2007
- Past Member, Rotary Club of Great Bridge, Chesapeake, Virginia, 1997-1999
*There is no procedure in Virginia for approving certifying organizations.