Karen L. Rowell
Attorney At Law
Joined the Firm in 2018
- Juris Doctor, Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William & Mary, 2008
- B.S. in Family and Child Development , Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1996
- Cryptologic Technician Interpretive Second Class (CTI2), United States Navy, 1997–2002.
- Received the Good Conduct Medal, a Joint Service Achievement Medal, a NATO Medal for Service in the Former Yugoslavia, and an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.
- Virginia State Bar since 2008
- Certified Guardian ad litem for incapacitated adults by the Virginia Supreme Court, since 2010
- Basic Long-Term Care Medicaid Planning: A Focus on Protecting the Spouse” presented to the 2019 UnProgram of the Virginia Academy of Elder Attorneys, Richmond, Virginia.
- Virginia Bar Association
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member, Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member and past Secretary of the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Bar Association
- Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce BOLD program, 2019 – 2021 class
- Member and Past President (2013), Bridgewater Ruritan Club
- Board Member, The Arc of Harrisonburg and Rockingham
- Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 632
- Adult volunteer, Virginia Skyline Council, Girl Scouts of America, since 2009
- Planning of taxable and non-taxable estates;
- Drafting Last Will and Testaments and Trusts (revocable, irrevocable, charitable, asset protection, life insurance and testamentary);
- Fiduciary services – acting as executor, trustee, and attorney-in-fact for clients;
- Representation of fiduciaries and personal representatives: executors, administrators, trustees, health care agents, and attorneys-in-fact;
- Trust and estate administration and probate;
- Representation of clients before the Commissioner of Accounts’ offices;
- Incapacity planning: drafting financial powers of attorneys and Advance Medical Directives (health care powers of attorney and end of life decision making);
- Medicaid benefits planning with regard to nursing home and long term care;
- Petitions for adult guardianships and conservatorships; and,
- Accepting appointment as guardian ad litem in guardianship and conservatorship petitions.