Karen L. Rowell
Attorney At Law
Joined the Firm in 2018
- Juris Doctor, Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William & Mary, 2008
- B.S. in Family and Child Development , Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1996
- Cryptologic Technician Interpretive Second Class (CTI2), United States Navy, 1997–2002.
- Received the Good Conduct Medal, a Joint Service Achievement Medal, a NATO Medal for Service in the Former Yugoslavia, and an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.
- Virginia State Bar since 2008
- Basic Long-Term Care Medicaid Planning: A Focus on Protecting the Spouse” presented to the 2019 UnProgram of the Virginia Academy of Elder Attorneys, Richmond, Virginia.
- It was a pleasure to appear on WSVA on August 28, 2023 for Issue In Aging and to have the opportunity to explain what an Elder Law attorney does and why it’s important to have one.
- Virginia Bar Association
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member, Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member and past Secretary of the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Bar Association
- Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce BOLD program, 2019 – 2021 class
- Member and Past President (2013), Bridgewater Ruritan Club
- Board Member, The Arc of Harrisonburg and Rockingham
- Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 632
- Adult volunteer, Virginia Skyline Council, Girl Scouts of America, since 2009
- Planning of taxable and non-taxable estates;
- Drafting Last Will and Testaments and Trusts (revocable, irrevocable, charitable, asset protection, life insurance and testamentary);
- Fiduciary services – acting as executor, trustee, and attorney-in-fact for clients;
- Representation of fiduciaries and personal representatives: executors, administrators, trustees, health care agents, and attorneys-in-fact;
- Trust and estate administration and probate;
- Representation of clients before the Commissioner of Accounts’ offices;
- Incapacity planning: drafting financial powers of attorneys and Advance Medical Directives (health care powers of attorney and end of life decision making);
- Medicaid benefits planning with regard to nursing home and long term care;
- Petitions for adult guardianships and conservatorships
Karen received her baccalaureate degree in Family & Child Development from Virginia Tech and her juris doctor from the Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William & Mary. Ms. Rowell served as a Cryptologic Technician Interpretive in the United States Navy for five years prior to attending law school and has been practicing law in Harrisonburg since 2008.
Ms. Rowell focuses her practice on wills & estate planning, advanced medical directives & powers of attorney, Medicare, Medicaid & Social Security Benefits, financial & long-term care planning, revocable living trusts, special needs trusts, guardianships & conservatorships, and probate, trust & estate administration.
Ms. Rowell and her daughter have enjoyed living in Bridgewater since 2008 and look forward to many more years living and serving the community in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.
Contact Karen L. Rowell
News from Karen L. Rowell
It was a pleasure to appear on the radio on August 28, 2023 for Issues In Aging and to have the opportunity to explain what an Elder Law attorney does and why it’s important to have one.
Clark & Bradshaw is pleased to announce that attorney Karen L. Rowell has joined the Board of...