Matthew C. Sunderlin
Attorney At Law
Joined the Firm in 1999
- Juris Doctor, Regent University School of Law, Virginia Beach, Virginia, 1995
- Baccalaureate in History, Hampden–Sydney College, Hampden–Sydney, Virginia, 1989
- Virginia Supreme Court, 1995
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 1996
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1997
- United States District Court of the Eastern District of Virginia, 1997
- Certified Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation, since 2003
- Certified Guardian ad litem for incapacitated adults by the Virginia Supreme Court, since 2003
- “AV” Preeminent – Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™
- Virginia Super Lawyers magazine© in Elder Law, 2008-2009 and 2012-2020
- Legal Elite in Elder Law, Virginia Business© magazine, 2020
- “Managing Incapacity” part of Virginia Elder Law, published in 2011, 2016 and 2020 by Virginia Continuing Legal Education, Inc.
- “Medicaid Estate Recovery in Virginia: What to do with DMAS comes knocking at the door?” published in 2019 by the Virginia Bar Association.
- “Planning for Incapacity” part of Elder Law Basics, published in 2007 by Virginia Continuing Legal Education, Inc.
Current Professional Affiliations
- Member, Virginia Bar Association, since 1995
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, since 1998
- Member, Harrisonburg-Rockingham Bar Association, since 1999
- Member, Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, since 2005
- Member, Board of Directors, Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 2006-2009 and since 2020
Current Community Activities
- Chairman (since 2018), Vice-Chairman (2017–2018), Board Member (since 2013), Blue Ridge Community College Board – Representative of Rockingham County appointed by the Rockingham County Board of Supervisors.
- Board Member, Central and Western Virginia Chapter, Alzheimer’s Association, since 2015
- Member, Local Advisory Board, BB&T Bank (now Truist Financial), since 2019
- Member, Board of the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Community Foundation, since 2019
- Member, Planned Giving Committee, RMH Foundation, Inc., since 2014
- Member, Rotary Club of Harrisonburg, since 2000
Past Community Activities
- Instructor (2014, 2019), James Madison University Life Long Learning Institute
- Assistant District Governor (2013–2017), Area 3, District 7570, Rotary International
- President (2009-2010), Board Member (2006-2010), Rotary Club of Harrisonburg
- President (2012–2015), Board Member (2007-2015), Autumn Valley Guardianship, a Public Guardianship program
- Member (2009–2014), Harrisonburg Council, Central and Western Virginia Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association
- Member (2005–2011), Board of Directors, Blue Ridge Community College Educational Foundation, Inc.
- Member (2004-2010), Board of Directors, Commonwealth Community Trust
- President (2007–2009) and Board Member (2002–2009), The Arc of Harrisonburg and Rockingham
- President (2008–2009) and Board Member (2003–2009), The ElderAlliance, Inc.
Past Professional Affiliations
- Lecturer and contributing author, Virginia Bar Association Summer Meeting, 2019.
- Lecturer and contributing author, Virginia Continuing Legal Education, Inc., 2007, 2011, 2012 and 2016.
- President (2014-2015), President-Elect (2013-2014), Treasurer (2011-2012), Harrisonburg–Rockingham Bar Association.
- Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Harrisonburg-Rockingham, Class of 2001
- Representative from the Harrisonburg–Rockingham County Bar Association, Conference of Local Bar Associations, Virginia State Bar, 2003–2006.
- Planning of taxable and non-taxable estates;
- Drafting Last Will and Testaments and trusts (revocable, irrevocable, charitable, asset protection, life insurance and testamentary);
- Fiduciary services – acting as executor, trustee, and attorney-in-fact for clients;
- Representation of fiduciaries and personal representatives: executors, administrators, trustees, health care agents, and attorneys-in-fact;
- Trust and estate administration and probate;
- Incapacity planning: drafting financial powers of attorneys and Advance Medical Directives (health care powers of attorney and end of life decision making);
- Taxation issues: gift, estate, and fiduciary income taxes;
- Public benefits planning with regard to long term care: Medicaid and Medicare;
- Petitions for and defense of adult guardianships and conservatorships;
- Contested estate and trust disputes;
- Accepts appointment as guardian ad litem in guardianship and conservatorship petitions; and,
- Appeared before all Commissioner of Accounts’ Offices and in all Circuit Courts in the Shenandoah Valley from Frederick County in the north and south to Rockbridge County.
Contact Matthew C. Sunderlin
News from Matthew C. Sunderlin
Clark & Bradshaw, P.C. today announced it has received notification from Martindale-Hubbell...
by Matthew C. Sunderlin, Attorney-At-Law An executor is a position created in a Last Will and...