Mark B. Callahan
Since 1983, Mark B. Callahan has vigorously represented clients throughout the Shenandoah Valley and Northern Virginia. In his practice, he both guides businesses through complex transactions, helping his clients structure their deals to their best benefit, and when necessary, in courts across the Commonwealth. He has appeared regularly in both State and Federal courts. Because of his expert legal advice and zealous advocacy, Mr. Callahan has enjoyed representing many of the same clients for over thirty-five years and he prides himself on having established a personal rapport with all of his clients.
Mr. Callahan has decades of experience in the creditor’s rights, representing several financial institutions–including large, regional and local community banks–in both transactions and litigation. Further, he has represented most of the large construction companies in the in the Harrisonburg/Rockingham area. Mr. Callahan has successfully tried cases at every level of the Commonwealth of Virginia’s legal system–from General District Court to the Supreme Court of Virginia– and in Federal Courts of the 4th Circuit, including the United States Circuit Court of Appeals, the United States District Court and the Bankruptcy Court. He has represented Great Eastern Resort Corporation, more commonly known as Massanutten Village, in a variety of legal contexts including real estate development and employment issues. In addition, Mr. Callahan has successfully taken many cases before arbitrators under the auspices of the American Arbitration Association with regard to construction disputes, generally on behalf of the general contractor. He has also been the town attorney for Town of Timberville for years.
Much of Mr. Callahan’s success is due to his knowledgeable, supportive, long-term staff which enable him to efficiently severe his clients to his fullest potential. Mr. Callahan has received the top rating of “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest ranking available through the most well-recognized form of ratings for attorneys in the nation, receiving a 5 out of 5 from his peers.
Mr. Callahan lives on a small farm in Tenth Legion, formerly occupied with horses and children. He enjoys bow hunting and trips to his cottage on the Chesapeake Bay and to the Florida Keys for fishing.
- Cumberland School of Law of Samford University, J.D., 1981
- Jacksonville State University, B.A., 1977
- United States District Court, Western District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- Harrisonburg — Rockingham Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce, President,1999
- Sunnyside Presbyterian Retirement Community, Member of the Board of Directors, 2000 – 2015
- Sunnyside Presbyterian Retirement Community, Corporate Secretary, 2000 – 2015
- Rockingham County Fair, Member of the Board of Directors, 2002 – 2005
- Suntrust Bank, Member of the Harrisonburg Advisory Board 1995 – 2015
- Stonewall Jackson Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America, Member of the Board of Directors, 2000-2004
- Boy Scout Troop 124, Assistant Scoutmaster, 2000-2002
- Timberville Lions Club, President, 1986
- Blair v. Crestar Bank, 188 F.3d 758 (4th Cir. 1999)
- In Re: AMA Corp., 175 BR 894 (Banker. W.D. Va. 1995)
- Summit Community Bank v. Blue Ridge Shadows Hotel and Conference Center, LLC, et al., 428 B.R. 231 (W.D. Va 2010)
- Parkside Vill., LLC v. United Bank, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 56760 (W.D. Va June 8, 2010)